Friday 14 December 2012

ACUTE MYELOID LEUKAEMIA

In July 2010 my doctor ordered a blood test as I had a slight numbness in my right foot. The pathology department rang me at home that night and told me to go immediately to the nearest hospital. By the next afternoon I was in hospital. I had Acute Myeloid Leukaemia and even with intensive chemo only a 30% chance of surviving the next few weeks.
I became very sick over the next five weeks as a result of the disease and the chemo. I spent a total of 11 weeks in hospital but the good news was that i was in remission.
Unfortunately the disease came back in Nov 2011. This meant another 5 weeks in hospital and more chemo. I again was in remission but now with the certainty that the disease definitely would come back. The only hope now being a bone marrow transplant.
A world wide search for a donor came up empty so as my eldest son was the nearest match he became my donor. This meant more chemo, full body radiation, chemo injected into my spinal cord and another long stay in hospital. the transplant went ahead on the 4th of May this year and so far it appears to have worked.
The strange thing with the transplant is that my blood group changed from B+ to 0+ the same as my son and my DNA changed to his also.
All the doctors, professors and nurses that I encountered during mu treatment have been simply magnificent.
My outlook on life has changed now. I do not worry about the small things that used to get me upset but just live each day to the fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment